If you wish to visit Scotland there’s plenty to do in and around Rhu and Helensburgh! Near to hand are:
- Hill House – High on a hill in Helensburgh, overlooking the River Clyde, sits the Hill House – universally regarded as Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s finest domestic creation.
- Glenarn Gardens– Glenarnis a private garden near us in Rhu largely created and originally made famous for its collection of species rhododendrons.
- Golf Courses – Helensburgh, Loch Lomond Golf Course and the Carrick Golf Course and Spa.
- Balloch – Country Park. Loch Lomond Shores – Aquarium, Shopping, National Park Gateway Centre, Maid of the Loch.
- Luss – pretty estate village famous for its lovely floral displays.
- Fishing – Coarse and game fishing on Loch Lomond & the Fruin, Leven & Endrick.
- Birdwatching – Plenty birdwatching opportunities, with the nearest RSPB reserve at Lochwinnoch.
Within half an hour:
- Arrochar – hiking and climbing on the ‘Arrochar Alps’ including ‘The Cobbler’.
- Tarbet – Loch Lomond cruises.
- Auchentoshan Distillery, near Clydebank
- Alexandria – Shopping at Antartex & Loch Lomond Factory Outlets. Motor museum.
- Dumbarton – Mediaeval castle, Denny Ship Tank – Scottish Maritime Museum
- Rosneath Peninsula – Fabulous views over sea-lochs, good walks and cycling, Linn Botanic Gardens.
Within an hour
- East Loch Lomond – Glengoyne Distillery, pottery, galleries, long distance footpath, Ben Lomond.
- Inveraray – 18th century lochside town with famous Invararay Jail and Invararay Castle.
- Glasgow – Historic buildings, fascinating architecture, shopping, theatres & concert halls, world famous galleries & museums, cafes and restaurants. Easy train journey of 40 mins.
- Trossachs – Forests, woollen centres, Loch Katrine cruises, Rob Roy Centre, Mountain biking, Go Ape aerial adventure.
- Stirling – mediaeval fortified town, superb ancient buildings, Stirling Castle, shopping centre, water slides, Wallace Monument.
Hiking and Hillwalking
- Helensburgh is within easy reach of many of the more southern Munros including Ben Lomond. Nearby are the craggy Arrochar Alps which include the Corbett, The Cobbler, great for all keen hillwalkers. Bigger challenges such as Ben More, Ben Lui, Ben Cruachan and the Glencoe tops are only an hour or so away. There is also the Three Lochs Way, which passes through Helensburgh.